Page title and description
Salad dressings & dips
- 1 very large aubergine, or 2 smaller aubergines (500-600g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra
- 2 large or 3 smaller garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 5 tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1-2 tsp harissa (add to taste)
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 45 min
Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
Step 2Cut the aubergine in half lengthways and cut criss-cross slashes into the flesh. Drizzle over a little olive oil and roast in the oven until tender (about 30-40 minutes).
Step 3Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute (don't let it burn).
Step 4Add the tomatoes, sugar, harissa and ¾ of the herbs. Cook on a low heat for 15 minutes, until the mixture is a thick sauce.
Step 5Scoop out the aubergine flesh and lightly mash it with a fork. Stir in the lemon juice and aubergine and season.
Step 6Simmer for 5 minutes, then leave to cool and serve at room temperature, scattered with the rest of the herbs.