Page title and description
- 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 50g butter
- ½ tsp Hungarian paprika and a pinch of sweet smoked paprika (optional)
- 4 large brown mushrooms (200g), halved and sliced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 300g cubed venison steak, each cube sliced lengthways into 3 or 4 pieces
- 150ml white wine and 2 bay leaves and 2 juniper berries and 6 peppercorns in a saucepan, reduced by half and strained
- 250ml crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Step 1Fry the onion in a third of the butter until soft. Add the paprika and fry for a few more minutes. Remove and set aside.
Step 2Add a little more butter, heat and fry the mushrooms, turning every minute or so until beginning to soften. Remove and set aside with the onions.
Step 3Add the remaining butter and oil, heat to hot and fry the venison for 1 minute a side. Remove from the pan.
Step 4Return the mushrooms and onion to the pan, add the strained wine and crème fraîche, stir and allow to reduce and thicken for a few minutes.
Step 5Add the cooked venison, bring to a simmer, add the chopped parsley, stir once, season and serve immediately with the lemon juice and plain basmati rice.