Page title and description
Pork & gammon
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and diced
- 50g butter
- splash of milk or cream
- oil for frying, e.g. sunflower
- 400g pork mince
- 1 large leek, cut in ½ lengthways, finely shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- either 1 tsp dried fennel seeds, or 4-5 shredded fresh sage leaves, or the leaves from 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 apple, cored and cut into small dice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 1h 30 min
Step 1Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan. Add the pork and fry to brown all over, stirring to break up any large chunks. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate. Add a splash more oil to the pan, along with the leek, carrot, celery and fennel seeds or herbs.
Step 2Fry gently, stirring now and then to stop it catching, for about 8 minutes. Add the pork back to the pan and stir in the apple and mustard. Season with salt and pepper, just cover with water, and simmer until tender (about 40 minutes).
Step 3Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a pan of water with a good pinch or two of salt. Bring to the boil. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until tender.
Step 4Drain, leave to steam in the colander for a couple of minutes to dry out, then mash well with the butter and milk, and season generously. Preheat oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Scoop the pork filling into a baking dish, top with the mashed potato, and bake for half an hour until browning on top.