Page title and description
- 1 large Savoy cabbage, core removed, leaves left whole or chopped in half if large
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 75g Gruyère or Cheddar, grated
- small handful Parmesan or veggie equivalent, grated
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp oil for frying e.g. rapeseed or sunflower
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 100ml double cream
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 40 min
Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
Step 2Cook the cabbage leaves in a large pan of boiling water for 4 minutes, or steam them (you may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your pan.
Step 3Drain and refresh in a bowl of ice cold water, the drain again. Cut out any tough central stalks and shred the leaves.
Step 4In a bowl combine the breadcrumbs and cheeses. Heat the butter and oil in a pan. Add the onion and fry gently for 8-10 minutes until soft and translucent but without colouring.
Step 5Add the garlic and chilli flakes and fry for another minute. Add the shredded cabbage and cream. Cook for 2 minutes. Season.
Step 6Spoon the mixture into a gratin dish. Spread the breadcrumb mixture evenly over the top. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until golden brown on top.