Page title and description
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5-6 celery stalks, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 2 handfuls flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1kg cavolo nero or kale, stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 150g cooked cannellini or borlotti beans
- 1 loaf stale ciabatta or other dense, chewy white bread
- olive oil, to finish
- Parmesan, grated, to serve
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 14 min
Cooking time: 1h 30 min
Step 1In a large saucepan gently fry garlic, celery, carrot and onion in the olive oil for about 30 minutes. Add the tomatoes and parsley and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
Step 2Then add the cavolo or kale and half the beans, with enough liquid to cover. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Step 3In a food processor, purée remaining beans, and return to the soup with enough boiling water to make the soup liquid. Add the torn up bread, a generous amount of good olive oil and season. Serve with grated Parmesan.