Page title and description
Pulled lamb pizza
Pulled lamb pizza
- 300g cooked lamb shoulder, shredded
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- generous handful of roughly chopped flat leaf parsley or coriander or both
- toppings of your choice - hummus, flavoured labneh, beetroot borani, za'atar, harissa, pickled jalapeno etc
for the pizza dough
- 7g dried yeast
- 275ml warm water
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 400g white bread flour
- 100g fine semolina flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 50ml olive oil
for the pickled vegetables
- 375ml cider or white wine vinegar
- 375ml water
- 250g caster sugar
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 1 small head of fennel, very finely sliced
- ½ small green cabbage, core removed and very finely sliced
Prep time: 1h 30 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Step 1First make the pickles. Boil the vinegar, water, sugar and spices for 5 mins and pour over the cabbage and fennel. Leave to pickle overnight or for a couple of hours.
Step 2Make the dough by mixing the yeast with a little of the water and the sugar. Once frothing, mix in everything else and knead to a smooth dough. Cover and leave until it begins to rise.
Step 3Meanwhile, quickly toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan until beginning to brown. Next, fry the onion and garlic until soft. Mix in the lamb.
Step 4Divide the dough into four and roll out into pizza based sized discs. Divide the lamb mixture and spread onto the discs. Gently press down with your hands or the rolling pin and leave for 10 mins. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200°C/Gas <ark 6. Once hot cook the pizzas – they'll take about 10 mins. Once cooked, top to taste. I went for plain hummus, pickled veg, pumpkin seeds and parsley, in that order, but the choice is yours.