Page title and description
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 250g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 175g hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 250g parsnips, peeled and finely grated (weight after preparation)
- 4 tbsp milk
- 125g cream cheese
- 60g unsalted butter, softened
- about 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 60g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 1h 15 min
Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Use baking parchment to line a rectangular tin, roughly 28 x 18cm.
Step 2Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a spoonful of flour with each one. Fold in the remaining flour, plus the spice, nuts, parsnips and milk.
Step 3Spoon the mixture into the tin and place in the centre of the oven, bake for 40-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 4To make the topping, place the cream cheese and butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Beat in enough icing sugar to give a thick consistency. Spread the icing over the cake and scatter on the chopped hazelnuts. Cut into squares or triangles to serve.