Page title and description
Soups & stews
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 leek cleaned, sliced lengthways and finely sliced
- ½ small swede or 1 parsnip, peeled and finely diced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1-1.2 litre veg stock
- 1 tsp dried mixed Italian herb seasoning (or use a few chopped fresh oregano and basil leaves)
- 60g dried orzo pasta (or other small pasta shape)
- 150g cabbage, finely shredded (remove any tough ribs)
- small handful fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- a little Parmesan, grated, to serve
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Step 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions. Cook on a gentle heat for 10 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
Step 2Add the carrots, leeks, swede, tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, 1 litre stock, dried herbs (if using fresh herbs, add them at the end of the cooking time).
Step 3Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 4Add the pasta and cook for another 5 minutes, then add the cabbage and simmer for another 3-5 minutes. Add a little more stock to thin the soup if necessary and season. Add a little chopped parsley if using and a grating of Parmesan.