Page title and description
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 15g butter
- 2-3 leeks, finely shredded, washed to remove any grit, then drained (you need 350g shredded weight)
- 1 tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 150g breadcrumbs, plus an extra 100g for coating
- 150g Caerphilly cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, beaten
Prep time: 40 min
Cooking time: 40 min
Step 1Heat the oil and butter in a heavy-based pan. Add the leeks and thyme and season.
Step 2Fry on a low heat, occasionally stirring, for 8-10 minutes, until softened but not coloured.
Step 3Remove from the heat. Stir in the breadcrumbs and cheese.
Step 4Gradually add some of the egg, a dessertspoon at a time until the mixture just holds together.
Step 5Use your hands to form the mixture into 8 even-sized sausage shapes.
Step 6Roll each in the remainder of the beaten egg, then the extra breadcrumbs, until coated.
Step 7Place on a non-stick baking tray, lightly greased with a little oil.
Step 8Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
Step 9Bake for 25-30 minutes, until crisp and golden.