Page title and description
- 1kg diced lamb
- zest and juice of 4 Seville oranges
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp seasoned flour
- olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1.25 litres chicken or lamb or veg stock
- handful of greens, finely chopped
- ½ tsp each ground allspice, cinnamon, coriander seed and a good pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tins chickpeas or butter beans (drained)
- 2 tbsp each mint and parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 3h
Step 1Marinade the lamb in the orange and lemon juice for a few hours or overnight. Drain, reserving the juice, and mix the lamb with the flour. Heat oil in a pan and fry the lamb in batches (brown thoroughly to avoid an anaemic-looking stew), then transfer to a casserole dish.
Step 2Lower the heat and soften the onion and garlic for 10 minutes. Transfer them to the casserole, deglaze the pan with stock and pour into the casserole. Add the reserved juice.
Step 3Cook gently for 1 hour 30 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and zest (apart from the mint and parsley). Cook for another hour, season and sprinkle with parsley to serve.