Page title and description
- 150g plain flour
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 5 large or 10 small leaves chard, tougher white stems removed and discarded, chopped (you need about 100g chopped leaves)
- your choice of flavouring (e.g. a handful finely chopped fresh herbs, a deseeded and finely chopped chilli, or a good grating of fresh nutmeg)
- oil for frying, e.g. vegetable orsunflower
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Step 1Put all the ingredients except the chard, oil and your flavouring in a food processor and blitz to make a batter. Add the chard and blitz for a few seconds more.
Step 2Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in your flavouring.
Step 3Heat a little oil in a small non-stick frying pan. Cook the pancakes in batches, adding a good ladle of the batter to the pan each time (or make a few little ones in the same pan). Even the mixture out and fry on both sides until golden. Keep warm in a low oven; put a layer of greaseproof paper between each pancake to stop them sticking together. They will be a slightly different texture to ordinary pancakes.