Page title and description
Soups & stews
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (up to the dark green bit)
- 400-500g celeriac, peeled and finely chopped
- 400-500g celery, sliced (reserve the leaves)
- ½ tsp celery seeds
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 15 min
Step 1Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and leek and cook for 10 minutes over a medium heat. Add the celeriac, celery, celery seeds and some salt and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, without letting them brown.
Step 2Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Step 3Purée the soup in a blender and then pass through a mouli-légumes, for the best result, or a fine sieve.
Step 4Reheat gently, then add the double cream and Worcestershire sauce. Season. Garnish with chopped celery leaves and parsley, if you like.