Page title and description
Salad dressings & dips
- 5-6 large carrots, cleaned and cut into 2cm chunks
- 4-5 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained, or about 100g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked until tender
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- juice of 1-2 lemons, to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp to garnish
- 1-2 tsp ground cumin, to taste (optional)
- paprika or black olives, to garnish (optional)
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Step 1Cook the carrots in boiling salted water until soft. Drain and allow to cool. Place in a food processor or blender with the tahini, chickpeas, half the garlic, half the lemon juice and the 3 tablespoons olive oil.
Step 2Blend to a paste. Check consistency; you will probably need to add a few tablespoons of water to loosen the hummus to a dipping texture
Step 3Blend again. Now taste and keep adding more garlic, lemon juice, cumin and salt and pepper, blending and tasting until it is as you like it.
Step 4Serve on a plate garnished with a sprinkle of paprika and/or black olives, and a trickle of olive oil.