Page title and description
- 400g tin cooked chickpeas, rinsed well in cold water and drained
- 100g carrot, grated (about 1 large or 2 smaller carrots)
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- oil for frying, e.g. sunflower or light olive
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 40 min
Step 1Put all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor. Blitz to a coarse paste. Add 2 teaspoons of cold water and blitz again. Tip into a bowl.
Step 2The mixture should neither be too dry nor too wet, but should hold together when pressed. Add a touch more water or flour as needed. Shape into 12 even-sized balls, pressing the mixture firmly together.
Step 3Heat about ½ cm layer of oil in a frying pan. Fry the falafels, turning them every 2 minutes, on a medium heat, until golden on all sides. Drain on kitchen paper.