Page title and description
Pork & gammon
- 400-500g kale, Savoy cabbage (outer leaves only), chard or spinach (or a mix)
- 125g thick bacon or gammon, chopped (vegetarians substitute diced squash)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli pepper, preferably Scotch bonnet (habanẽro), deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 litre chicken or veg stock
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- juice of 1 lime
- 200g shelled crab meat or small shelled prawns (cooked or uncooked)
- ½ tin coconut milk
- 1 tsp butter
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 25 min
Cooking time: 40 min
Step 1Remove any thick hard stalks from the greens and discard. Finely chop the leaves.
Step 2Simmer the bacon or gammon, the greens, onion, chilli, thyme and garlic in the stock until the meat is tender - about 30 minutes.
Step 3Add the allspice, the lime and the crab or prawns and simmer until the fish is just cooked (or heated through if using cooked prawns).
Step 4Add the coconut milk and the butter. Heat through, taste for seasoning and serve.