Page title and description
- 250-300g beetroot (about 2 medium to large), left whole, skins scrubbed
- 400g tin cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp light tahini
- 1-2 lemons, depending on size
- pinch ground paprika
- 1½ tsp ground cumin (use freshly ground cumin seeds if you can)
- olive oil, about 2-3 tbsp, plus a little extra for drizzling
- a little extra ground cumin, some toasted sesame seeds or few shredded mint leaves to garnish (optional)
- salt and pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 50 min
Step 1Boil the beetroot until tender, about 45 minutes for medium to large ones.
Step 2Drain and leave until just cool enough to handle, then rub off the skins (they should come away quite easily).
Step 3Leave to cool completely, then roughly chop and put in a food processor with the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, juice of 1 lemon, the paprika and cumin.
Step 4Blitz to a coarse paste, then gradually trickle in enough olive oil until you have a thick, smooth(ish) dip.
Step 5Taste and add salt, pepper and a little more lemon juice to taste, and the garnish.