Page title and description
- 150g light muscovado sugar (caster sugar can also be used)
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3-4 ripe bananas (you need about 450g peeled weight), peeled and mashed
- 250g self raising flour
- small pinch salt
- pinch nutmeg, grated, or mixed spice
- 50g chopped walnuts (optional)
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 1h 15 min
Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Butter a 1kg loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
Step 2In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs gradually. Stir in the mashed bananas. Sift in the flour, salt, nutmeg or mixed spice and nuts if using. Combine all the ingredients.
Step 3Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for approx 1 ¼ hours, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. (If the top is turning too brown before the loaf is cooked through, cover with foil).
Step 4Remove from the oven. Leave in the tin for 10-15 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.