Page title and description
Salad dressings & dips
Cook's notesThere are many variations on this dip: you could use a food processor to blend the oil in gradually after blitzing the rest of the ingredients, but a rougher texture is a more original version.
- 6-8 anchovy fillets, drained if in oil, rinsed if salted, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- a few leaves fresh rosemary, chopped (optional)
- a splash (about 1 tbsp) red or white wine vinegar, or lemon juice
- about 100ml olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Step 1Use the pestle and mortar to grind the anchovies, garlic and rosemary until they form a rough paste.
Step 2Add a splash of vinegar, then gradually add the oil, stirring constantly. Season well with pepper to taste.
Step 3You should end up with a dip the consistency of a tapenade or a rough textured mayonnaise. Add a little more oil if needed.