Riverford vs supermarkets: how we compare on price
We want our veg boxes to be affordable as well as top quality, fresh and organic.
Every month we compare our veg box prices against the equivalent organic veg in Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose. The good news is that our boxes tend to come out cheaper – and that’s without including our free delivery.
About our workings
- During each month we look at the contents and weights of 10 of our veg boxes (seasonal organic veg box (small), seasonal organic veg box (medium), seasonal organic veg box (large), seasonal organic veg box (bumper), quick organic veg box (small), quick organic veg box (medium), quick organic veg box (large), no potatoes organic veg box (small), no potatoes organic veg box (medium) and no potatoes organic veg box (large)) from Riverford on Wash Farm.
- We compare them to the equivalent veg for sale on the Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose websites.
- Where the supermarkets don’t sell the exact same veg, we find as close a comparison as possible (eg. Riverford kohl rabi vs supermarket swede).
- If the supermarkets only sell a non-organic version of the vegetable, we add 30% to the supermarket price to compensate.
- We then take an average of the results across all 10 boxes to get one headline ‘cheaper than/more expensive than’ percentage.
- This method isn’t scientifically perfect, but it’s the best way we’ve found of checking that we’re offering good value.
Take a look at our boxes
Choose from a range of boxes to suit all households.