organic fortnight 3rd-17th september
The Soil Association’s annual celebration of all things organic is here. This year’s theme is Choose Organic Every Day. Here are some ideas for how you can get involved.
- Visit our farm to see your veg growing, or another local organic farm.
- Treat yourself to a residential cooking weekend in Devon from Friday 17th September to Sunday 19th September. You’ll stay at the beautiful Rill Farm in the Dart Valley, pick up some new cooking skills and enjoy plenty of organic food in our award-winning Field Kitchen restaurant.
- Visit the Riverford Travelling Field Kitchen, our restaurant in a yurt, on its final stop at Stockley Farm in Cheshire between 2nd-12th September.
- Go to the Soil Association Organic Food Festival in Bristol on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th September. Or join the Soil Association.
- Go on buying a box! In our latest calculations our vegboxes worked out on average 20% cheaper than supermarket organic veg.
- Get the children involved. This summer we ran a Kids’ Veg Challenge questionnaire and discovered that not all children think that milk comes in cartons or tomatoes in tins. On average, children aged 3-11 recognised over 80% of the 24 fruit and veg varieties we asked them about. And children of Riverford customers ate a wider range of ‘weird’ veg (like kohl rabi and fennel) than those of non-customers. Hooray!