Thanks to everyone who replied to our question about charging a deposit for the plastic crates.
A lot of you who replied are against the idea of plastic crates and would prefer us to stick with cardboard. We would have to charge a deposit if we used plastic crates and a lot of you are against that. Unfortunately we would expect around 5% of the crates to go missing – which would be double the cost of the boxes as things stand.
Many of you would be happy to pay a £5 deposit, but no more than that. We now have a quote for fold down crates at £7.50 so the deposit would be more than a lot of people are willing to pay. This would be a massive and risky investment for us and after reading the replies, we have decided to shelve the project.
Once again, thanks for all your feedback.
A few weeks back we asked you what you would think if we moved to a returnable plastic box. Thanks to everyone who responded – we had over 200 comments. The original blog post is here and to remind you:
- We get about four trips out of a box.
- Around half of the boxes are used for other things and the other half get too damaged or dirty.
- Although they’re made from 98% recycled materials, being reused four times and being recycled at the end of their lives, the boxes still make up 10% of our carbon footprint.
- Our research suggests that a re-usable plastic box would result in a reduction in emissions of about 70%.
- 33% say it sounds like to right thing to do.
- 28% would leave it up to us to do what is best.
- 24% really don’t like the idea but would accept it.
- 13% were not convinced by the CO2 argument and are against the idea of plastic boxes.
A lot of you mentioned that the boxes need to fold down to save on space, which would be a bit more expensive but would be worth it. Some of you worried about what would happen to the plastic crates at the end of their lives. We could get them made from most if not all recycled material and if they were returned to us at the end of their lives they would be 100% recycled.
One more question
We would need to charge a deposit of between £5 and £10 which would be added to your account when we deliver and removed when you return a box. How would you feel about this?