You can make as many loo roll people or creatures as you like! If you’ve got more than one loo roll saved then why not try making a whole green haired family? The only other thing you’ll need for this project that you might not have at home is grass seed. You could collect some from a local park or a friend’s garden. Or you can use cress seeds.
what is a seed?
Seeds contain food for the seedling, as it cannot make its own food from the sun (photosynthesis) until it has grown leaves. It is this stored food, which is in the cotyledon (the inner part of the seed), that makes seeds, including nuts, nutritious for animals and humans to eat.
what you need
some grass (or cress) seeds
cardboard loo roll
pens/ pencils/ paint
compost or soil
a saucer or plate
what to do
1. Draw a face on the loo roll and then ask an adult to help you cut a section off the bottom, taking care not to squash the tube. You can cut the loo rolls to different heights, but remember, the roots need some room to grow so don’t cut them too short.
2. Stand the tube on a saucer and fill it with compost. Sprinkle some of your seeds on top.
3. Gently sprinkle some water on the seeds. Try not to wet the cardboard so your creature’s face doesn’t run. Use a spray watering bottle, your fingers or a teaspoon.
4. Put the saucer and your cardboard creature on a windowsill so they are in the light. Make sure the seeds do not dry out; you want to keep the soil damp, but no puddles.
5. Be patient – give your seeds anything up to a couple of weeks to germinate.
6. Keep turning the saucer so that your hair doesn’t grow lopsided.
7. Soon you will be ready for a trim!