Group and school visits
Schools and Colleges are welcome to visit Riverford to learn more about farming and food.
What the trip includes:
A typical visit lasts 2 hours and will include a walking tour of the farm and for Primary and Secondary school visits the option of an organic seasonal meal prepared by our award winning Field Kitchen. The tour takes in the vegetable fields, clover leys, pasture, hedgerows and superb views of the surrounding countryside. Children will record their journey on a map of the farm, encouraging cross curricular learning.
Topics include; Map work, wildlife, plant and cloud identification, crop growth, usage and rotation, the farming year, water cycle, the history and geography of the local area and discussing the nutritional values of each crop, offering children a chance to pick and taste some of the produce.
Tours are led by our gardening expert Penny Hemming and once booked, she will be happy to talk to you to ensure the objectives of your visit are met. Penny’s availability is limited, so advanced booking with as much notice as possible is advisable.
Educational Visits Price including organic seasonal meal:
primary & secondary schools ONLY
- £7.50 per child (3 - 12 year olds)
- £9.50 per child (13 year olds and upwards)
- With a minimum charge of £135
- Teachers & assistants free, we require one responsible adult per 6 children. No catering will be provided for adults but they are welcome to bring along food to eat with the children.
- Your visit needs to start at 9.30am, to allow time for the meal and will finish at 12.15pm including time for lunch. Tours can be all year round to suit yours and Penny’s availability.
Educational Visits Price without organic seasonal meal:
primary & secondary schools ONLY
- £3.60 per child, with a minimum charge of £96
- Teachers & assistants free, we require one responsible adult per 6 children.
- £9.60 per person, with a minimum charge of £96
- 2 leaders free per visit.
Please note that we do not offer a seasonal organic meal as part of the tour for college students but there is the option of having lunch in the Field Kitchen (12 years plus are charged at adult prices)
- Anytime to suit yours and Penny’s availability, all year round.
Educational visits booking info:
Contact Riverford Field Kitchen on 01803 762074 or email email@example.com. Payment can either be made by card prior to arrival or we can arrange for you to be invoiced afterwards (normally preferred with Schools).
A booking will remain provisional until the method of payment has been confirmed and if a purchase order is required for invoicing, we will need to have received it. Once this has all been completed we will amend your paperwork to reflect a confirmed booking and re-send everything for your own records, along with a generic risk assessment for farm visits that will assist with your own risk assessment for the educational visit.
advanced educational visits
Our advanced guided tours are suitable for Colleges or Universities looking for a deeper insight into our methods of farming or certain aspects relating to your farming qualification. They typically last 2 hours and will be tailored to meet the objectives of your group.
Advanced tours are led by our horticulture expert Charles Staniland and once booked, he will be happy to talk to you to ensure the objectives of your visit are met. Charles’s availability is limited, so advanced booking with as much notice as possible is advisable.
advanced educational visits price:
£10.80pp, with a minimum charge of £100.
advanced educational visits times:
Anytime to suit you and Charles’s availability, all year round.
advanced educational visits booking info:
Riverford Field Kitchen on 01803 762074 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Payment is due on invoice before the event.
Business Interest Visits
We receive a lot of requests from people interested in the business and operations of Riverford Organic Farms.
Unfortunately, anyone that knows enough about the success of Riverford or the advanced aspects of running an organic farm are just too busy to help.
At present, we are unable to facilitate business interest visits or presentations. A lot of information can be found on our website: https://www.riverford.co.uk/about_riverford
General Visit Notes
- All prices include VAT at the current rate of 20%.
- The maximum number of people for group visits is 40 people, you are welcome to combine classes, as long as our maximum of 40 is not exceeded. If there are more than 40 in the group it will need to be divided into two.
- The seasonal organic meal booked as part of the Primary and Secondary visits will include mid-morning crunchies on the tour and meal of sausages, mash and veg and a piece of fruit for pudding.
- Due to teachers and assistants being free of charge no catering is provided but they are welcome to bring along food to eat with the children
- This is a working farm so we do not have the facilities to allow groups to arrive early or stay late to play before or after their visit.
- You are welcome stay & eat your packed lunches on site – This can either be on the grass and picnic benches or we can reserve a large meeting room for your group in-case of bad weather (Subject to availability) We kindly request that no sandwiches contain grated cheese if being consumed in the meeting room as I’m afraid it’s very difficult to clean up afterwards!
- A room will be booked for visiting school groups to leave their bags and eat lunch in
- Sensible footwear and clothing is essential as the ground on a working farm will be uneven (and muddy!) and the weather can be changeable.
- There are many natural hazards on a working farm (moving vehicles, uneven ground, brambles, deep mud, reservoirs etc); visitors to this working farm are responsible for their own safety.
- Current prices to eat in the Field Kitchen are £23.50 for Lunch (£11.75 for children aged 3-12 years) and £27.50 for Supper (£13.75 for children aged 3-12 years). Field Kitchen Bookings need to be made separately.
- Tours may be cancelled by Riverford in the case of severe weather, they are not cancelled due to rain.
- When raining the Educational tour plan may be altered accordingly at the discretion of Riverford.
- We will provide you with a generic risk assessment for farm visits to assist with your own risk assessment for the educational visit.
- Cancellation policy - Once a booking is confirmed you must inform the Riverford Field Kitchen at least 1 week prior to the visit date. If a cancellation is made less than 1 week in advance the visitors will be charged 50% of the total cost.
- All information is correct at April 2015.
Download our farm visit information.
Download our farm walk map to help you on your way.