We plan to deliver a suite of really high quality internal-facing business systems; one of the most significant infrastructural improvements Riverford has ever made. It’s a very exciting project – and your role will be front and centre in specification, selection, development, and delivery. Some elements are likely to come from the market, others will be developed in-house by our exceptional engineering team; all will come together to deliver exceptional platforms for our co-owners.
Naturally analytical, with strong problem-solving abilities, you will dig into the problems and solutions coming from users, while also considering extra requirements that users may not have thought about (such as future direction, or consequences on other departments).
You’ll need to be skilled at building deep relationships and ensuring that people across the business have a solid, shared understanding. Your approach to stakeholder engagement will allow you to deeply understand business processes and strategy, while your focus on delivery means you’ll communicate regularly, gather feedback often, and deliver solutions that delight our users!
You’ll apply an agile approach to development and delivery, utilising retrospectives and other mechanisms to determine the best actions for improvement within your team. The delivery cycle you create will have time allotted to allow your team to make changes and improve.
You’ll care about quality, knowing that it’s everyone’s responsibility. Working with the Lead Test Engineer and the Principal Engineer, you’ll define agreed standards of quality. You’ll help your team understand these standards and their responsibility, ensuring that third-party systems are tested prior to delivery, that there’s high standard user acceptance testing of new software deliveries, and that defects or regressions are addressed before deploying a new release.
Together with the Director of IT, Head of Systems & Engineering, Principal Engineer, and some key stakeholders, you’ll collaborate to set the priority of work for your team.
In this role, travel will sometimes be required to visit other sites around the country where our business systems are in use.
This is a permanent contract, 40 hours a week. Based at Wash Barn, Buckfastleigh, Devon, TQ11 0JU. Relocation package is available.
- Once you are established in your role you will be recognised as an expert in your domain! Be the person who can give or find answers to questions from the business about the core functionality of the systems you are responsible for, and articulate clearly what is and isn’t possible with those systems.
- Spend a significant amount of time with managers from the finance, wholesale, and production teams, building strong relationships. You will also work closely with the IT support team, the directors, and the software engineering teams.
- With your deep knowledge and understanding of the current systems and the business processes which they underpin, you will take a key role in defining and delivering their replacement as part of a significant project to redefine the systems that enable Riverford to succeed.
- Flag issues appropriately within the IT department and, using your strong relationships with co-owners around the business, ensure that key stakeholders are in the loop. You will provide briefing sessions and communications at an appropriate level when discussing systems change or following an incident.
- Actively care for the co-owners in your team, giving your time to build and maintain a great team culture, and supporting them to grow their careers.
- Collaborate with other managers and leads across the department to ensure that we are celebrating success and building strong relationships across teams.
- Support the use of co-owner surveys and ad hoc interactions to measure progress and ensure that we excel as a department and as a business.
- Responsible for recruiting and onboarding new co-owners into your team.