Rhubarb and vanilla yoghurt cake
Rhubarb, orange and yoghurt make a delicious combination.If you don't have orange flower water, substitute rose water, or just use vanilla. If you have no vanilla pods, use a few drops of vanilla essence instead. Enjoy the cake warm or cold, at tea time or for dessert. It pairs beautifully with a dollop of creamy yoghurt.
- 300g rhubarb, thinly sliced
- 310g self-raising flour
- 230g caster sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 125g plain yoghurt
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp orange flower water
- 125g unsalted butter, melted & extra to grease the tin.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas 4 and grease a 9” cake tin. Mix the rhubarb, flour, caster sugar, orange zest and salt together.
- Mix the eggs, yoghurt, vanilla essence, orange flower water and butter together. Mix both mixtures together until there are no dry patches left, but don’t over-mix.
- Pour it into the tin, level it off and bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Let it cool in the tin for 15 minutes then turn it out to finish cooling on a rack.