Red Onion Salad With Beetroot, Lentils, Feta And Mint
This is delicious served in a mezze with roast carrots with cumin and goat’s cheese and some hummus. The flavour of the raw onions is tempered by soaking them in sugar and vinegar.
- 500g beetroot
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp good-quality red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp cooked Puy lentils
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- Preheat an oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Place the beets in a baking dish, add 5mm of water, then cover with foil. Place in the oven and roast for about 45 minutes until tender. When they are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut into wedges.
- Mix the sliced red onions with the sugar and vinegar and set aside for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper and mix with all the other ingredients, including the beetroot. If the beetroot has just been cooked and the lentils are still slightly warm, the resulting salad will be superior.