Red onion salad with beetroot, lentils, feta and mint
Full of contrasting tastes and textures, this is delicious served as a mezze, alongside a bowl of hummus and some roast carrots with cumin and goat's cheese. It also makes a great standalone light lunch. The flavour of the raw onions is tempered by soaking them in sugar and vinegar.
- 500g beetroot
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp good-quality red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp cooked Puy lentils
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Place the beets in a baking dish, add 5mm of water, then cover with foil. Place in the oven and roast for about 45 minutes until tender. When they are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut into wedges.
- Mix the sliced red onions with the sugar and vinegar and set aside for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Season and mix with all the other ingredients, including the beetroot. If the beetroot has just been cooked and the lentils are still slightly warm, the resulting salad will be superior.