Cauliflower & Potato Dal
This recipe is taken from the Riverford Farm Cook Book. This recipe uses celery, if you don’t have it don’t worry, leave it out.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, peeled + finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp good-quality curry powder
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 250g yellow split peas, soaked in cold water overnight + then drained
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 3 potatoes, peeled + cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion or 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and celery and cook gently for 5 mins. Stir in the garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, curry powder and nutmeg and cook for 1 min. Add the split peas and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins, skimming off any froth from the surface.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 10 mins. Finally stir in the cauliflower and cook for 10 mins or until the potatoes and cauliflower are just tender.
- To finish the dish, heat the tablespoon of sunflower oil in a frying pan until quite hot, then add the onion or shallots and cook, stirring constantly, for a min.
- Quickly add the garlic, chilli and mustard seeds and cook until the seeds start to pop. Stir this mixture into the dal, followed by the lemon juice and sugar. Finish with the chopped coriander.