Bulghur wheat, courgette and broad bean salad
A quick and healthy vegetarian salad, this may be served warm or cold. Add in any other light summer veg you have on hand – radishes, French beans, a handful of mint. A few fried slices of halloumi would make this a meal, or try eating alongside a fillet of chicken or salmon.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200g bulgur wheat
- 350-400ml hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 2-3 courgettes, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 200-300g shelled broad beans (about 500-800g weight with pods).
- juice of ½-1 lemon, to taste
- small handful mint or parsley, roughly chopped
- salt & pepper
- Sweat the onion in the 2 tablespoons of oil until soft. Add the bulgur wheat and fry for about 2 minutes more, then carefully add the hot stock and stir well.
- Turn the heat to low, partially cover the pan and leave to simmer for 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally until cooked.
- Meanwhile, fry the sliced courgettes and chopped garlic in another pan in 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a medium heat, stirring occasionally. The courgettes are ready when they are tender and lightly caramelised.
- In a third, small pan cover the shelled broad beans with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes or until the beans are cooked. Drain into a sieve or colander and run the beans under cold water. If you have time pop the beans out of their skins (make a small cut in the skin using your fingernail and squeeze gently). This takes a few minutes but produces tender, bright green beans.
- When bulgur wheat, courgettes and beans are all ready (bulgur and veg can wait around for 10-20 minutes or so without spoiling), combine them and add another tablespoon of olive oil, the lemon juice to taste, the mint or parsley, salt and plenty of ground black pepper.