Beetroot and carrot burgers on wilted spinach and roasted Portobellos
This is a super-healthy, vegetarian and gluten free version of a burger in a bun: a meaty roasted mushroom topped with wilted spinach and a tender patty of grated carrot and beetroot. You can also make this with chestnut mushrooms, but the effect won't be quite so picturesque.
- 250g beetroot, grated weight
- 250g carrot, grated weight
- 100g medium oatmeal
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 shallot or small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp dill, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- oil for frying & roasting, e.g. sunflower
- 8 Portobello mushrooms
- 400g spinach, any tough stalks trimmed
- salt & pepper
- Use your hands to mix the beetroot, carrot, oatmeal, eggs, shallot, dill and parsley in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Press together, cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 180˚C/Gas ark 4.
- Divide the mixture into 8 similar sized balls, squeezing them together in your hands, then flatten a little into burger shapes.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a large frying pan and fry the burgers on each side for 3-4 minutes, until golden.
- Transfer to a non-stick baking tray. Put the mushrooms on a separate non-stick baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil and season. Put both in the oven for 20 minutes.
- When they’re ready, melt a knob of butter in a pan. Add the spinach and stir for a couple of minutes, until wilted. Season.
- Spoon the spinach onto the mushrooms and top with the burgers.